Logo Usage Guidelines
The CDS-Hooks Project was launched by the SMART Team at Boston Children’s Hospital, and is one of the SMART Health IT portfolio projects.
SMART CDS Hooks notifies external services when specific activities occur within an EHR user session. For example, services can register to be notified when a new patient record is opened, or when a medication is prescribed. Services can then return “cards” displaying text, actionable suggestions, or links to launch a SMART app from within the workflow.
The CDS Hooks logos (each, a “Logo”) are owned by The Children’s Medical Center Corporation (“Institution”) and may be displayed solely for the following purposes (each, a “Permitted Use”) in accordance with the guidelines below:
- Scholastic and news publications (including magazines, newspapers, periodicals, articles, white papers, and blog posts), seminars, webinars, conferences, and meetings (collectively, “Publications and Seminars”); or
- the sale, promotion, and advertising of products that are compatible with the specification located at www.cds-hooks.org (the “CDS Hooks Specification”).
Any Permitted Use of the Logos is subject to the following terms and conditions:
- you will comply with the Institution’s style guidelines as set forth below (as may be updated by the Institution from time to time, provided that the Institution provides a copy of any such updates to you, including via its website at https://cds-hooks.org/logo-use/), including all legal notice requirements;
- your use of the Logos will be solely referential, identifying the CDS Hooks Specification in a fair, accurate and non-confusing manner;
- your use of the Logos will not and will not be reasonably likely to harm or disparage, or to imply a false sponsorship or endorsement by or association with, (a) the CDS Hooks Specification or (b) the Institution or its affiliates or partners;
- your trademarks, service marks, logos and trade names will appear more prominently than any Logo on all materials containing such Logo;
- clicking on an online copy of a Logo will link to www.cds-hooks.org; and
- you will only use a copy of a Logo available at https://github.com/cds-hooks/docs/tree/master/docs/images, (i.e., you may not draw or otherwise reproduce any Logo independently).
Publications and Seminars
Use of the Logos in connection with Publications and Seminars is subject to the following additional terms and conditions:
- you will only use the Logos if they are germane to the subject matter of the Publication or Seminar;
- you will not use any Logo to refer to any other technologies, products, services, programs, or organizations;
- you will include in any printed materials containing a Logo a disclaimer substantially in the form of the following:
“[Title of publication/event] is an independent [publication/event], and The Children’s Medical Center Corporation and its affiliates and partners in no way endorse, sponsor, authorize, or otherwise approve of [title of publication/event].”; and
- you will not use any Logo on promotional merchandise that you are selling or distributing (such as t-shirts, pens, pads of paper, travel mugs, etc.).
Use of the Logos in connection with the sale, promotion, and advertising of products that are compatible with the CDS Hooks Specification is subject to the following additional terms and conditions:
- you will only use the Logos if your product is in fact compatible with the CDS Hooks Specification;
- you will not use the Logos to brand your own products or services without the prior written permission of the Institution;
- you will include in any sale, promotion, or advertising materials containing a Logo a disclaimer substantially in the form of the following:
“The Children’s Medical Center Corporation and its affiliates and partners in no way endorse, certify, or guarantee the quality of, [your product name] or [your name] or its products.”; and
- you represent and warrant that your product makes proper use of CDS Hooks Specification APIs.
Any Permitted Use of the Logos is subject to the following style guidelines and any other applicable guidelines of the Institution relating to the Logos.
Truthful and Dignified Use
Always use a Logo truthfully and in good taste.
DO NOT: use a Logo with untruthful advertising or misleading promotional materials.
DO NOT: use a Logo in a manner that would imply a false sponsorship, relationship, or association with the Institution or any other person or entity (for example, a Logo should not appear next to a term such as “certified,” “reviewed,” “sponsored by,” “endorsed by,” or “partnered with”).
DO NOT: use a Logo or portion thereof in the name of your business, product, service, app, domain name, social media account, or other offering, except as otherwise expressly permitted by the Institution.
DO NOT: use a Logo in connection with products or services that contain lewd representations.
DO NOT: use a Logo in “crude, rude, or socially unacceptable” ways.
DO NOT: use a Logo in a manner reasonably likely to disparage the Institution, its affiliates or partners, or their products or services, or portray them in a negative light.
Indication of Source
Logos should only be used to truthfully indicate that the Institution or its authorized licensees are the source of the product or service or to truthfully and accurately refer to the Institution’s products and services (including compatibility therewith). Any use of a Logo, including the goodwill associated with the Logo, will inure to the benefit of the Institution.
Use in Connection with Others’ Trademarks
Use of a Logo should always be independent and separate from the trademarks or logos of any entity other than the Institution. A Logo or portion thereof may not be used as a feature or design of any other trademark or logo. A Logo may not be combined with any other symbols, words, logos, icons, graphics, photos, slogans, numbers, or other design elements on a product or in connection with a service (including as a composite mark or as a “lockup”).
Use of Trademark Symbols
You should identify a Logo as being a trademark by using the TM symbol.
You must include an ownership statement when using a Logo, as follows:
“The CDS Hooks logos are trademarks of The Children’s Medical Center Corporation.”
1. Reproductions and Alterations
You must always reproduce any Logo solely by downloading the electronic artwork provided to you at https://github.com/cds-hooks/docs/tree/master/docs/images, and reproduce the entire Logo.
DO NOT: rotate or animate a Logo, or render it three-dimensional.
DO NOT: use any part of a Logo as a decorative illustration, graphic element, background, or pattern.
DO NOT: translate or localize a Logo.
DO NOT: add words or version numbers to a Logo (including, without limitation, such phrases as “runs on,” “for use with,” “for” or “compatible with”).
DO NOT: attempt to set the logotype (i.e., names or words set in specially designed type) yourself, change the font, or alter the size or proportions of letters or the space between them.
DO NOT: stretch, distort, modify, or alter a Logo in any way except that it may be resized so long as the original proportions remain intact.
2. Minimum Size
When reproducing any Logo, be conscious of its size and legibility. The minimum height for any Logo is 15 mm. A Logo should also be clearly subordinate in size and position to the name of your company, institution, product or service, or your trademarks.
3. Minimum Clear Space
Clear, open space is an integral part of any Logo. Do not place graphics, type, photographs, or illustrations inside the minimum clear space surrounding the Logo. The minimum clear space for any Logo is equal to a quarter of the width of the Logo.
A Logo must be printed using four-color process or in black. The preferred background color for any Logo is white or off-white. The Logo can appear on black, color, or photographic backgrounds, as long as the legibility of the Logo is not diminished.
Other Uses of Logos
If you wish to use a Logo or any other trademarks of the Institution for any purpose not expressly described herein (including in connection with using any Logo to brand your own products or services), you must contact the Institution at firstname.lastname@example.org and request permission to use such Logo for such purposes. The Institution has sole discretion with respect to granting any such permission to you. If granted, any such permission will be subject to the terms and conditions of a separate written agreement between you and the Institution.
The Logos were developed in partnership with the Institution’s SMART Health IT team. The Institution is the sole owner of each of the Logos and associated goodwill. The Institution will be the sole beneficiary of any goodwill associated with your use of any Logo.
The Institution reserves all rights not expressly granted herein.
The Institution may revoke these Logo Usage Guidelines, generally or as applied to your use, at any time at its sole discretion.
THE INSTITUTION DISCLAIMS ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES REGARDING THE LOGOS, INCLUDING WARRANTIES AGAINST INFRINGEMENTS OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS AND ANY WARRANTIES THAT MAY BE IMPLIED BY LAW. THE INSTITUTION WILL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY EVENT FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OF A LOGO