With support from ONC, the SMART Platforms team is working with Lantana Consulting Group to simplify and improve data exchange based on the HL7 Consolidated Clinical Document Architecture (C-CDA) standard for health summary data. We are working to ensure that real-world Health IT software can consistently produce and consume C-CDA documents, which will be a Meaningful Use Stage 2 (MU2) requirement for transitions of care between providers and for patients’ access to their own data. To this end, we’re formulating clear, “fill-in-the-gaps” implementation guidance for MU2 certification and beyond.
We’ve assembled a team of Health IT organizations for lightweight participation in a pioneering interoperability collaboration. We will identify and address “grey areas” in at least seven key domains of the C-CDA specification: demographics, medications, problems, allergies, vital signs, lab results, smoking status.
Participants will achieve goals for MU2 and beyond:
- MU2: discover simpler methods for generating and processing C-CDA documents
- MU3: channel your C-CDA 1.1 pain points to improve next-generation C-CDA standards
Participating organizations include:
- Greenway Medical
- Partners HealthCare
- more to come…
Three Levels of Participation
- Share documents. Share your product’s MU2 C-CDAs including patient data in seven key domains: demographics, medications, problems, allergies, vital signs, lab results, smoking status.
- Share experience. Share your experience (issues and concerns) working with C-CDA to ensure our implementation guidance covers real-world issues you’ve encountered. Provide feedback on our guidance to ensure our recommendations work for your organization.
- Pilot. Following our C-CDA guidance will enable SMART medical applications to run on your exported C-CDAs. These applications, available as open-source software, include:
a. Cardiac Risk Profile
b. Medication Reconciliation
c. Blood Pressure Visualization
d. Pediatric Growth Charts
Please note: Identifiable participant/organization information from this collaboration will only be disclosed publicly with participant permission. Participants will be welcome to publicize their active role in interoperability development and this project.
- SMART C-CDA Collaborative Trello Board
- SMART C-CDA Collaborative Charter
- Blog posts by mTuitive:
- Webinar: Getting SMART about C-CDA (video with interactive transcript; April 2)
- Blog posts by Josh Mandel, SMART Lead Architect:
- Introducing the SMART C-CDA Scorecard (January 22)
- CCD: Show me the codes! (July 30, 2012)
- Clinical summary export: What is a CCD for? (July 24, 2012)
- John D’Amore (email@example.com, 917.733.3735)
- Sumesh Sundareswaran (firstname.lastname@example.org, 706.250.0457)
Hashtag: #C_CDA (note underscore)